Monday, September 21, 2009

Labor Day Weekend - Whew!

I thought when Jason and I finally moved in together we would start seeing more of each other. We mostly see each other at dinner, but now our weekends seem to be spent apart. When Labor Day weekend appeared on the horizon, I determined we would make use of our togetherness during that weekend.

The weekend started with Erin, A.J. and Tracy coming to visit. We went to the Royals game on Friday night. We got sweet deals on our tickets. Plus it was Buck Night and Fireworks Friday! The Royals lost and Jason stayed home to finish homework, but I was distracted by the fact that Erin wanted to get some dirt from the warning track for her brother.




Our guests stayed up late playing Wii, but we turned in somewhat early because we were signed up to run in the Royals 5K in the morning. We had planned on training for a couple of months so I could get in shape but that fell through. It wasn't going to be that hard for Jason because he has to run two miles for the Army anyway. I ran/jogged/shuffled for two miles without stopping. Then I had to walk a short distance. I ended up walking about a quarter of a mile in all. Jason kept encouraging me and entertaining me along the course. We finished with a time of 41:01. We were number 575 and 576 to cross the finish line. Afterward, Jason still had plenty of energy. Handstand anyone?

After the run, we went back to the house to find our guests still asleep. We woke them up in time for lunch. It's the last one that we will have with A.J. for at least a year because he is going to Japan on a mission trip.
Then Tracy, Jason and I went to the KC Irish Festival in Crown Center. Jason and Tracy enjoyed some meat pies while we listened to Irish music and history of Irish influences on American baseball. We stayed until the very end for Pogey because I saw them last year and absolutely loved them. They totally rocked it out again this year!

On Sunday, we went to the KC Ren Fest with Tracy. There were lots of craft booths, food and entertainment. We ran into the Maurers at the jousting event. Then we learned about samurai swords at another place.

We also stopped to see Jason's favorite juggler, Brian Wendling, perform. Jason got picked from the audience to help, along with another person I knew: Joey Martin. Jason also tried his hand at throwing axes and all three of us had some fun shooting bows and arrows.




Then we went home and watched some movies that continued the jousting/dueling theme of the day.

No comments:

 
web tracking software